Yin Yoga and Mayan Culture Retreat in Mexico 2022
Experience the Mayan's History and Present Day along with daily Yin Yoga, Pranayama, ruins, cenotes, beach and Cultural Excursions!
Time & Location
Nov 06, 2022, 6:00 PM – Nov 13, 2022, 12:00 PM
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
About the Trip/Retreat
From our base in modern Merida, we will learn about the ancient Mayans, explore Mayan archeological sites, visit Mayan villages who have organized to maintain traditions, cultures and crafts as well as enjoy some relaxing days swimming at the beach and in underground limestone pools (cenotes), which the Mayans believe to be sacred spiritual gateways. The crowning experience will be Chichen Itza, the most well-preserved Mayan city and one of the seven wonders of the world! Daily we will practice one hour total of Yin Yoga (gentle calming), Pranayama (breathing exercises) and short Meditation. All sites that we visit are 30-90 minutes driving distance from Merida.
*Booking now closed
- comfortable single or shared room with air conditioning in highly rated vacation rental
- ground transport from/to airport
- ground transport to all retreat activities
- all guides/entrance fees to sites
- yoga, pranayama and meditation daily
Participant is responsible for:
- Airfare to/from Merida (MID) Airport
- Spa/Massages/Bodywork services
- Food and Drink (averages $30 daily in our quality chosen restaurants)
- Travel insurance at own option
Passport/Visa Requirements: NO VISA required prior to travel to Mexico for tourism
Traveling to Mexico requires:
- A current, valid passport. Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of the passport; nevertheless, this document must be valid during the length of stay in Mexico.
- A properly completed Multiple Migratory Form (FMM); this form will be provided to you by the airline or at the port of entry and your passport will receive a stamp
- Migratory authorities at the port of entry may request to see proof of your return ticket
- No testing or proofs required, temperature may be taken
- Detailed information can be found at the https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel.html
What to Bring:
It is the most beautiful month of the year! Rainy season has ended and lush green green vegetation surrounds you in moderate summer-like temperatures!
- Passport, tickets, money, phone, charger
- Yoga mat
- Goggles or snorkel/mask to see down into the Cenotes as you swim!
- Light cotton clothing is best for the humid tropics. Long pants protect from mosquitos. There are plenty of weather-appropriate outfits for sale in Merida as well!
- Your favorite mosquito repellent, especially if you love to wear shorts
- Comfortable walking shoes or comfortable walking sandles
- Refillable Water Bottle (Accomodations are provided with high-quality purified drinking water by the gallon)
- Hat and favorite sunblock (both available in Merida)
- Arrive with empty space in your luggage -- there are wonderful crafts, clothes and gifts for sale everywhere!
- We will make a special trip for you to get Mexican Pesos on our first full day of activities!
Safety while in Mexico
Merida has been rated THE SAFEST CITY in the Americas for several years. Most drug-related violence occurs near the border with the United States. Even street theft is uncommon. Anywhere you travel it is appropriate to hide valuables and carry a valid passport on your person.
Your Host, Guide and Instructor
Jill Michelle Palmer is an Ayurvedic Practitioner and Certified E-RYT500 Yoga Teacher with a B.A. in Spanish and Mayan languages and a B.A. in Latin American Studies from New Mexico State University. She has traveled and lived in Latin America for many years and has lived and studied with the Guatamalan and Chiapan Mayans. Fluent in Spanish and seasoned in leading retreats, you are in for an enlightening journey!
*Do not attend this retreat if you are shielding yourself from airborne illnesses
Cancellation policy and terms
It is understandable that sometimes things come up or plans change and one must cancel. This must be balanced against the financial and organizational realities of programming a retreat. Many aspects of the organizer's booking duties are nonrefundable. With this in mind, please notify Aruna Ayurveda asap of cancellation via the fastest way - the arunaayurveda.org CHAT button.
All fully paid cancellation notifications received by midnight Central Standard Time October 5th will receive a 30% reimbursement.
All cancellation notifications received thereafter are 100% non-refundable. Deposits are not refundable. All payments made toward this retreat implies one's agreement to the above cancellation policy and terms.